Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Worship conference: I am the best and Labels

This weekend we hosted a Worship Conference at our church. We being the conglomerate of UMCs around this area of the four corners. During the conference, I got a lot of things out of it. I realized that I need to work on my personal time with God and drawing others into commune with God. We also had a fun seminar on the emergent movement which made me think more about my generation/worldview.
I also had some frustrations during this conference. That I would like to see turn into a discussion.
One was the main speaker seemed to be full of herself. It felt condescending at times the way she would speak. Granted she spoke a lot of truth but I felt robbed because she left some of the truth out. It felt like she was saying "I am the Best" over and over and over. I am glad she has an awesome ministry but I missed the authentic trials and tribulations she faces. I like to call this hero preaching style. It's like she was throwing herself up on a pedestal saying look at me look at me. I pray to God that I may always remain humble in my preaching style. I feel that our lowest points are our best preaching points. Some people say you should never address yourself in a sermon and rather should focus on a text. And then we have the example of Hero preacher. What is your style? How often do you talk of you triumphs and trials? What do you like the best?
The other thing that happened at the conference lasted a short paragraph in a book but still managed to annoy me. When speaking on emergents the speaker went political. She was talking about liberals and fundamentalists. This is typically fine with me until she used the word evangelical like the media always does to define conservatives. I am an evangelical and proud of it. My political views are not tied in with liberals or conservatives. Evangelicals can have their own thoughts. The core meaning of an evangelical is someone who wants to spread the word of God by word and deed. They don't always have a political agenda. Come on!! Think don't fall in with the media and use their ignorant terms to describe people that want the word of God to flourish. Our agenda is that unbelievers would turn to believers. Have you ever experienced this? What are your thoughts?

No comments: