Thursday, April 17, 2008

Being a Chaplain for the industry

John Wesley had a heart for the lost and he felt that his ministry was called beyond the four walls. He encouraged ministers to reach out to orphans, prisoners, and to the different industries that were in his area. He developed small groups to help people to develop accountability. It was the Methodist movement that stands as one of the largest sweeping Christian Revivals in history.
One of my favorite things about my job is that I am not confined to a desk (all the time) and I get the opportunity to share God's word in different places. Currently, I am building a Chaplain Ministry by the name of Team Philip. I have been very involved with one company by the name of PESCO for awhile now. Every Thursday afternoon, I get to go there and do a Bible study with these guys. I get to hear their stories of triumphs and trials. I feel so blessed to be around people that earnestly seek out God's will for their lives on a daily basis. They have a heart for the Lord and I get to share and counsel with them.
Recently, I was talking to them about Eph 4 which states that "we should live our life worthy to the call that were called to..." When asking them about their callings they felt like they did not know yet. I got to encourage them by letting them know that they were in fact living out their calling. It was an amazing experience because one never felt like they were really that special. The fellowship I get to share with these men is such a blessing. On one occasion a man in his middle 40's mentioned that he had never owned a Bible before. Without a second thought my brother Jose took his leather bound engraved Bible that he carries with him everyday to work and slid it down the table and said "here." The lessons I learn from these men are vast. Each has a different story of how God has changed and is changing their lives.
It's times like these when I feel so blessed and humbled to be in the position that I am. I gave up a beautiful ocean in California and looking in the eyes of these men I can now say that I have no regrets. I am thankful for where I am and look forward to watching the many breakthroughs for myself and others.
Cheers,
Lance

1 comment:

jeremy zach said...

wow. that is a cool story. i love the part where he put his bible down and slide it across the table and said, "here". that is powerful